Friday, April 23, 2010

Activism Log 9

Andee Ondina
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
April 23, 2010

Activism Log 9
Activism

This past weekend I finally recieved a reply from Barry from Sweet! Unfortunately it was not in time for our event. I am going to respond in hopes that maybe we can arrange something anyways, and they will still be willing to help even though it is no longer for a class project. I am hoping that they will want to help regaurdless. Yesterday, at work, I was talking to 2 guests about animals. I started to mention Animal Safehouse and I was shocked and amazed that they had already heard about it. I asked where they had heard about it and they said they saw the Daily Buzz show! The show that Arielle and Leandra went on after I had met that lady at the dog park.

Reflection
   
     When talking to my two guests at work I realized that even though I am just a server I can still help spread the word of Animal Safehouse. I do not have a large audience or a microphone, but what I say can impact lives just as powerfully. "We can all do this. We all have it in ourselves; titles don't make us leaders. It is our actions that mean something and impact our community. It is our voices that inspire"(Seely 24). I really think Seely nailed it when she said that. "No act is too small" (Seely 24). I also like how I am speaking out against domestic abuse. I am helping women who are afraid to speak out for themselves. I am defying the idea that women are supposed to "beautiful but silent"(Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 235). I am actively aiding in the fight against violence, along side being an activist for womens rights. Just speaking out and not "fading into the background"(Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 235) makes me an activist and it feels good.
Reciprocity
    While Barry got back to me too late to hold the event for the class project, I am excited to know that there is still hope in doing the event just because and raise money for Animal Safehouse. It all goes back to things not turning out the way we may expect them too. I am begining to realize that although things do not go as planned, at least they are moving forward. I thought the Sweet! event would be a great oppurtunity for Animal Safehouse and was dissapointed when I thought it fell through, I am glad to know that things are looking up again. I am looking forward to still being a part of the Animal Safehouse group even after it is not for a grade.

Work Cited


Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York University Press, 2007.
Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey.The More you Subtract, the More You Add. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010.231-242.

No comments:

Post a Comment