Andee Ondina
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
April 18, 2010
Activism Log 8
Activism
This week our group is done with our project and just tying up some loose ends. I have been looking back on activism logs and writing down my hours. I work at a restaurant where I can sit down and talk with my guests. The subject of animlas usually comes up whether it be because we discuss my major and how I want to go to vet school or I ask if they have pets. Whenever they do mention animals I always make sure to mention that I help with an Organization, Animal Safehouse and briefly mention what we do and where they can go to read more about it.
Refletion
"All voices, experiences, perspectives and visions, can be incorporated and represented, for we all benefit from shared and practiced equality" (Seely 16). My voice at work, although small can reach many people. I love finding people outside of the dog park that love animals just as much as I do. I love spreading the word of Animal Safehouse to all those people. I know I am just one person, and Animal Safehouse is not vastly well known, but we all have a vision of what we would love Animal Safehouse to become, the word can spread with just one whisper. "Visions ae about values, drawing from inside ourselves everything we value and daring to think big" (Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 585). With Animal Safehouse's vision, I am sure we have enough head, heart and hands to achieve anything we put our minds to.
Reciprocity
While our project is over and complete, I find peace in knowing that I am still so connected to Animal Safehouse and spend every second I can spreading its goal as I can. I love what Animal Safehouse does for not only animals, but as well as their owners. These women find themselves in situations they can not themselves get themselves out of. I have always been one to help others, and I love how I can help women, as well as fullfill my passion and life long dream of helping animals as well. Knowing that there are other people out there that care as much as I do about this subject keeps me going.
Work Cited
Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York University Press, 2007.
Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Creating Change Theory, Vision, and Action. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010.583-598.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment