Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Activism Log 7

Andee Ondina
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
April 13, 2010

Activism Log 7

Activism

This week my group and I held the event at Louie and Maria's Italian restaurant on Sunday. Prior to the event, I fliered around the waterford area, as well as around my apartment complex. I also made announcements in my classes informing fellow classmates of the event, hoping that they could find time in their weekend schedule to support Animal Safehouse. The event went well, although we ran into several problems with the location itself. While the turnout was not very good, we as a group had collected many donations in the form of cash and supplies. The people who did come and support all brought something to donate. Arielle, came to the event and saw everything that we have been working towards and was very pleased with everything that we have done. As a group I feel like we had a big part in helping Animal Safehouse.


Refletion

This week,like last week, has shown me that somethings do not always work out as planned, but you have to keep on pushing towards your goal. The event, despite the several road bumps, and small turnout, did raise awareness to those who came. All that has to happen is those people tell their friends, who tell their friends, who tell their friends, and so on. Through the grapvine Animal Safehouse will be talked about and the word of it, and its goals will spread. "While you may be one person, your voice and actions can tough others, whose voices and actions can touch still others, and so forth until we experience change" (Seely 16). When first arriving to the event and seeing all the road blocks that had popped up, I was upset that we had worked so hard towards something that would be pointless, however, Arielle brought up a good point in saying that, even if we just talk to one person, we have informed one more person then we had before. "Feeling that an action has failed is disheartening and may lead people to give up, assuming that creating change is hopeless.
But action always accomplishes something, and in this sense it aways works"(Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 586).
Reciprocity
While the turnout of the even was a let down, the donations that were given were all great and highly appreciated. Many people donated prior to the event and could not show up to the actual event. Getting up in front of my classes to announce the event felt good. I felt like I was stepping up to the plate, and informing as many people as I can to what Animal Safehouse is trying to do. Although many students do not have animals, they were still able to relate to or feel for those women and children stuck in an abusive situation. Altthough non of my classmates ended up showing, I feel like my announcement should had perked some peoples ears and had not gone ignored.



Work Cited

Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York University Press, 2007.
 
 
Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Creating Change Theory, Vision, and Action. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010.583-598.

No comments:

Post a Comment