Saturday, April 3, 2010

Activisim Log 6

Andee Ondina
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015

April 3, 2010

Activism Log 6
  • Activism 
          Now that my group and I have completed the most time consuming and difficult task, finding a venue, there is not much else we can really do other than flier, informing fellow students and businesses around the area that we are holding an event in honor of Animal Safehouse. On Thursday I went and handed out fliers for the event around the Waterford area, as well as some fliers on Animal Safehouse and what the aimed to do. Many people seemed interested and I hope we are able to get some sort of turn out at the event. I emailed Barry from Sweet! again and still no reply, so I figured something must have come up that prevented them from being able to help us out. However, we are moving onward with the Italian restaurant and I can not wait to see what comes of it!

  • Refletion 
            This past week as shown me that somethings fall through and that even though it is unfortunate, you have to keep your head up and keep heading towards your goal. There are "many issues we face as women, both in society and within the movement itself"(Seely 222) if we would have just given up in the beginning we would not have come as far as we have. Reading this in the "...Like a Girl" chapter of Seely's, Fight Like A Girl, reminded me that not everything is going end up as desired, but there is a point to failure, or a loss, it gives you the motivation to keep going. I, of course, was diasapointed when I did not hear back from Sweet! but I realized that not everything is going to work out the way one plans, if it did we would all be a step closer to equality. I took a step back from the situation and realized, "it is our actions that mean something and impact our community. It is our voices that inspire. And our commitment to justice that makes a difference" (Seely 24) not where we hold our event. Our commitment and passion for what Animal Safehouse stands for will be seen no matter where we hold our event.
  •  Reciprocity
   Knowing that we are not only raising awareness for such a great organization but helping out women and animals in need gives me the best feeling. Every time I hand a flier to someone and their face lights up with appreciation, of what we are trying to do, my heart races and I just feel good. Those looks alone, make all the time being put into this project worth it. The way people look at you when you are doing such a good thing, lets you know that you are not under appreciated and people recognize and help out with your efforts. It feels good that there are other women, children, and even men who are so gracious and willing to help Animal Safehouse.
 
Work Cited
Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York University Press, 2007. 

No comments:

Post a Comment