Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Activism Log 1

Andee Ondina
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
February 16, 2010

Activism Log 1
  • Activism 
     This week was our first week of planning. I spoke with Arielle and inquired if there were any specific events, or tasks that Animal Safehouse needed for us to assist with. She recommended that we organize and event that will help raise awareness and give people the opportunity to sign up to be a foster parent or give donations.

    Katelyn and I went to the Waterford shopping plaza to talk and with a few business owners to discuss tabling or if they were interested in letting us hold the “signing day” event at their location. We were told by most places to contact corporate. We decided to focus on privately owned businesses,. We handed out fliers to the business' that could not help us, and said they would post the information in their break rooms. We posted fliers on the community board at Panera Bread and collected business cards on potential venues.

    On Thursday I emailed Arielle and suggested that Fleet Peeples Dog Park in Winter Park would be a great place to table and raise awareness and I could do so on Sunday. On Saturday night, I attended the Women's Studies Benefit at Natura Tea and Coffee, where I met with Abigail and Arielle. They gave me all the necessary fliers, posters and supplies I would need to table at the dog park the next morning.

    On Sunday I went to the Fleet Peeples and set up on a picnic table. I handed out fliers to all the people at the dog park and collected donations. I informed them about Animal Safehouse,  and said I would be back next Sunday collecting donations in the form of money, leashes, collars food ect. A lot of people said they would be back next week with donations.

  • Refletion
    It is known that domestic violence affects men, women and children all over the world. It often goes unnoticed how the animals in these types of households are affected as well. It is nice and comforting to know that there is an organization that will help women who cant leave abusive households without taking care of their animals. Not only are we helping out the women and children in these situations, but as well as the animals.
 
    The authors of our text, Women’s Lives, Multicultural Perspectives, Gwyn Kirk and Margo Okazawa-Rey state "The first shelter for battered women in the United States opened in 1974. Now there are over 2,500 shelters and service programs nationwide, stretched to capacity. More shelters are needed and those that exist need to be more accessible- physically and culturally - to women with disabilities, women of color, immigrant women, lesbians, and transgender." (268) Although Kirk and Okazawa-Rey are correct, how many of these women have animals that would be left behind because animals are not allowed in shelters? I think there should be a shelter who is willing to house women and their animals as well.

  • Reciprocity
   I am very excited to about spreading the word of Animal Safehouse of Brevard. The idea of helping out with such a great and giving organization is very fulfilling. I plan on continuing volunteering with the organization long after service learning is over. Animal Safehouse of Brevard is a feminist organization because it helps women remove them selves from violent situations. It gives women a chance to personally be and activist for violence against women.


Work Cited


Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. Print.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment